Colin Kirton conducts workshops related to creative arts ministry and theatre skills. These workshops include:
This 2-hour workshop provides a biblical perspective on living creatively for the glory of God. Participants are taught to understand the source and process of creativity and to put it under the Lordship of Christ by integrating creativity with their faith and expressing it in their daily walk with God.
The class covers:
- What is creativity?
- Why do we need to be creative?
- Barriers to creativity
- What does the Bible say about creativity?
- The creative process
- What does creativity mean for my life?
This workshop is mainly in lecture format, with some group discussion, and is suitable for all older teens and adults, regardless of whether they think they are creative or not (and especially if they think they aren't!). No limit to class size.
SCRIPTURAL FOUNDATIONS FOR THE ARTS
This is a 3-hour workshop covering:
- A theology for artistry (Why the need for artistry? Is it important to God?)
- The function of the artist (The various roles an artist can play)
- A Christian worldview for artistic expression (What kind of artistic expression is acceptable/valid in God's eyes? Does our artistic expression always have to be about our faith for God to accept it?)
- The Bible and the arts (A survey of the whole Bible as a case-study to see God's perspective on artistic expression and to draw principles for our own artistic expression)
This workshop is in lecture format and is targeted at older teens and adults. As there is some overlap with the "Understanding Creativity" workshop, if your group is interested in having both workshops together, they can be consolidated into about 4 hours. No limit to class size.
CREATIVE ARTS MINISTRY
This 2-hour workshop addresses the questions:
- Why should the church encourage creative arts ministry, and is there a biblical basis for it?
- What are some of the pitfalls and problems we need to be aware of if we want to be involved in creative arts ministry?
- What are some of the creative forms of communication we can use?
This workshop is in lecture format, with lots of case studies and real-life examples, and is targeted at older teens and adults who are interested to be, or already are, involved in creative arts ministry in the church - specifically in performing arts (music and drama). Church leaders are also encouraged to attend to gain a better understanding of creative arts ministry so they may be better equipped to shepherd those serving in this ministry. No limit to class size.
BASIC DRAMA SKILLS
This is a full-day (8 hours) hands-on workshop, covering:
- Basic acting skills
- Dialogue and movement and how they go together
- The rehearsal process: getting a play from just a script through to a staged performance
- Directors and stage managers: what they do, and how to do it
This workshop is meant for anyone interested in, or already involved in drama ministry. Through teaching plus exercises/games, the workshop provides a basic course in acting and in staging a dramatic presentation for the beginner or even someone with some experience. Many of the acting principles learnt are however useful for all forms of public communication.
Suitable for anyone 13 years of age and above. Minimum of 10, maximum of 24 persons per class. (Preferable class size 16-20 persons.) Students will need to be prepared to actively participate, and should wear loose clothing and flat shoes.
WRITING FOR THE STAGE
This 4-hour workshop covers:
- The basic ingredients for drama
- Choosing a dramatic premise
- Developing characters
- Developing goals and conflict; action or story; resolution
- Writing dialogue; the purposes of dialogue
- Preparing and revising your script
This workshop is 3 hours of lecture covering the basics of structuring and writing scripts for stage performance. The remaining hour involve students analysing selected case-study scripts to apply the principles learned in the theory module of the class.
Suitable for older teens and adults. No limit to class size.
INTRODUCTION TO THEATRE PRODUCTION
This is a 3-hour workshop covering:
- Stage: Layout and use of stage
- The production team: Who they are and what each person does
- The director's role: Understanding the play; understanding the actors; translating the text to stage performance
- The rehearsal process: Preparations; first rehearsals; ongoing rehearsals; full runs; dress and tech rehearsals; performances
- The stage manager's role: Assisting the director; set and stage; props; costumes; sound; lighting; the prompt copy
This workshop is in lecture format, filled with examples of the basics of what is needed in order to put together a theatrical production, whether simple or moderately complex. There is some overlap with the "Basic Drama Skills" workshop, which deals at a surface level with some of these issues from an actor's perspective. Targeted at older teens and adults who are interested in knowing the basics of theatre production. No limit to class size.
Churches or groups that have hosted one or more of these workshops before include:
Agape Gospel Assembly, Seremban, Negri Sembilan
AYA First Priority Conference, Subang Jaya, Selangor
Bandar Sunway Gospel Centre, Bandar Sunway, Selangor
Bangsar Gospel Centre, Kuala Lumpur
Church of Praise, Johor Bahru, Johor
City Discipleship Presbyterian Church, Subang Jaya, Selangor
Convent Bukit Nanas, Kuala Lumpur
DUMC, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Eaglepoint, Puchong, Selangor
Emmanuel Evangelical Free Church, Wangsa Maju, Selangor
Excel Point Community Church, Pulau Pinang
First Baptist Church, Kuching, Sarawak
Full Gospel Assembly, Taman Goodwood, Kuala Lumpur
Full Gospel Tabernacle, Subang Jaya, Selangor
Gospel Hall Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
IBA Youth Development, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
ICDF 6th International Christian Creative Arts Conference, Genting Highlands,
International Creative Arts Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa
Klang Chinese Methodist Church, Klang, Selangor
Methodist School of Music, Singapore
Petaling Jaya Gospel Hall, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
PJEFC, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Rawang Arts Camp, Rawang, Selangor
Reservoir Garden Baptist Church, Pulau Pinang
Residential Bible School, Cameron Highlands, Pahang
Seremban Gospel Chapel, Seremban, Negri Sembilan
Setapak Gospel Centre, Setapak, Selangor
SIB KL, Kuala Lumpur
SIB Likas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
SIB Skyline, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
SS Gospel Centre, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
St Andrew's Community Chapel, Singapore
St Ignatius Church, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
St John's - St Margaret's Church, Singapore
Subang Jaya Gospel Centre, Subang Jaya, Selangor
SUFES Camping Music & Drama Camp, Sepang, Selangor
SU Young Writers Camp, Bukit Tinggi, Pahang
Tapestry, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
The Language Studio, Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
The Philharmonic Society of Selangor, Kuala Lumpur
UNITEN, Kajang, Selangor
Wesley Methodist Church, Ipoh, Perak
Wesley Methodist Church, Kuantan, Pahang
World Harvest Church, Subang Jaya, Selangor
Contact us at email@example.com for more information.